Monday, February 21, 2005

First Day At Work

With trepidation and feeling like a kid on their first day of school, I started my new job as a 'Client Relationship Manager/Porfolio Manager' at Barclays Stockbroking.
The day didn't start well. When I woke up this morning and looked out the window I was astounded by the fact that it had been snowing! A lot! And I had a hour and a half car drive ahead of me! Normally I love the snow, but when I am trying to get to my first day of work, it's not so much fun. But I made it there just in time, after a few close misses with trees at the side of the road when the car started sliding on the ice.
I was a bit overwhelmed by the size of the place and the number of people working there. It seemed like a maze wondering around all the corridors on the tour, and people staring at the 'new kids.' But they did seem nice, and when I got chatting I found out most of them were temps anyway, so they hadn't been there long. It wasn't the most exciting of days, we had all the training, watched a million health and safety/ training videos, all made in the seventies or eighties, so you can imagine the fun! We did get to play a game at the end and win sweets which livened things up a bit!
So, the outcome today... A bit boring doing all the training, but I got chocolate at the end. So I'd say it went pretty well.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

playing games and winning sweets, sound like my kind of party charlotte. not crappy cheap sweets i hope.

Anonymous said...

did they have any skittles? or fake teeth sweets, or mmmmm maltesers. what about werthers originals or lemon polos or cola bottles or strawberry milkshakes or fruitellas or starbursts (which should still b called opal fruits really, thats just bollocks)

lo said...

as the ignorant American (yeah, sorry bout that...) in the group, can I ask what fake teeth sweets and opal fruits are?

Charlotte said...

Sexy Losure, fake teeth sweets are just that, sweets that look like teeth.

Charlotte said...

Opal Fruits are now known as Starburst. Some idiot decided to change the name. I still thinkl they should be called Opal Fruits.