Saturday, March 26, 2005

Fat Kids

There has been so much on the news recently about these obese kids, who eat nothing but junk food, don't exercise and and who can't walk because the sound of their thighs rubbing together hurts their ears. Ok maybe not the last bit, but it really is gross looking at them. Who lets their kids get into that state? These fat people go on chat shows and say they think they are sexy the way they are and why should they change to conform? Firstly, do they not have a mirror? Secondly, they will die! I don't think that we should all stop eating and become anorexic just to look like the impossibly perfect stars and models who are pushed in our faces everytime we open a magazine or turn on the TV. For most people this standard is impossible to acheive without resorting to surgery. But there is nothing wrong with just being healthy. I admit I need to lose weight and exercise more, but I am eating heathily and I do get out and walk a lot and weight is coming off.Its all to do with moderation. Treat yourself every so often, but don't eat McDonalds three times a day! I blame America. I know it is easy to blame them because in all truthfullness they are responsible for most of what is wrong with the world today... but they really have created a huge obesity problem in their own country and now are exporting it world wide. You walk into a Maccy D's in America and there are these hugely fat people ordering supersize triple burger meals. Do these people have no respect for themselves and their health? Not to mention their kids who are all eating the same crap.
However, we need to look closer to home and take some of the blame. Why do parents let their children eat food like sweets and crisps? Quick way to stop the problem...don't buy them! If they aren't sitting in the cupboard, the kids won't ask for them and you won't be tempted to give them any as a treat or to shut them up. It just doesn't make sense to me why parents buy sweets for their children in order to make them behave better or bribe them. Do they not realise that copious amounts of sugar will make them even behave even worse! It seems such a shame when kids as young as one or two are given chocolate and sweets that will be rotting their teeth and creating long term bad habits that will be get harder and harder to break. What is wrong with fruit or vegetables?
I was a fussy eater when I was a child and it is only in the last few years that I have started experimenting and eating vegetables, but I always ate loads of fruit and we never had chocolate or fizzy drinks or crisps when we were young. I remember going to school with a packed lunch and being jealous that all the other children had sweets, chocolates and coke for lunch, and I had brown bread sandwiches and fruit, with low sugar orange squash. But you know what, I am so grateful to my mum for that now.
I am supporting the Feed Me Better Campaign which is collecting signatures for their petition to make school dinners more healthy. They want to ban junk food and make dinners more nutritious. I think that if the kids aren't getting taught healthy eating at home then at least they are given a chance at school, and maybe they can then educate their parents. You can sign this petition and learn more about this here: http://www.feedmebetter.com

No comments: